Statistics

How many are affected?

According to  the National Institute of Mental Health, roughly 3.1 million teens from the ages of 12-17 in the US had at least one major depressive episode. This represented 12.8% of the US population with this age in 2016.

What is the damage?

From results of the SAMSHA, major depressive episodes left 30% without severe impairment, while the remaining  70% experienced severe impairment.

What could have caused this?

While divorce, new family formation, substance abuse, physical or sexual abuse, exposure to domestic violence, alcoholism in the home, and emotional neglect are not all reasons, it is recognition to some.

The Reality